The History of Art Students’ Association (HASA) at the University of Toronto invites students from all fields of study to participate in the Third Annual History of Art Undergraduate Conference on March 10th and 11th 2017.
The theme of this year’s conference is Back to Basics: Material and Process. The purpose of the conference is to engage in a discussion on the use and manipulation of materials and processes throughout history to create works of art and objects of material culture.
We invite students to submit papers that explore topics relating to the theme, including but not limited to:
- Significance of materials and processes through social and cultural factors
- Materiality and immateriality
- The readymade
- Craftsmanship vs. Technology
- Symbolic functions/historical associations of materials and processes
- What we can learn about artists/craftsmen through the way they manipulate/use materials
- Rejection of traditional techniques and materials
- Diverse and/or experimental approaches to materials and processes throughout history
The aim of the conference is to create a supportive environment for undergraduate art historians to explore and challenge their fields of interest in art history.
The deadline for submissions has past.